Monday, August 18, 2008

Chapter 5

Richie's brilliant idea of getting up before anyone else to make coffee so he can bring back two cups without being noticed, was thwarted when he ran into Jon on the way back to his bedroom.

"So, you do have Bimbo Bella in there, don't you?"

"No! It's not her."

"Who is it then?"

"He's not anyone you....."

"He?" Jon's eyebrow shot up as he studied his friend.

"No! You know I don't swing that way."

"Rich, that's none of my business. Just don't tell me that you've stayed with this fricking band because you've always had an unrequited crush on me." Jon smirked.

Richie stared at his friend for a moment. "Fuck you, Bongiovi."

"That's what I'm afraid of"

If Richie wasn't holding two cups of coffee, he would have flipped him off.


*****

"You can't stay here, you know."


"Why not? This is my house."

"Look, we went over this. This is not your house. Not the you you were then. The you you are now, yes, but not you," Richie pointed to Jon.
"Understand?"

"No."

Neither did Richie.

But he had to make him see that Jon cannot just do whatever he pleased because this was going to wreak havoc in Jon's life. If Jon started doing things now that had never happened to Jon, how is it going to affect the life he has now? Would it be better? Worse? Or.....would he not exist at all?

Shit!

"We have to leave. Today."

"Where are we going?"

Jon was glad that he wouldn't have to go about this by himself. Glad that Richie felt the brotherly love for him and was willing to help. He felt a sense of calm knowing that their friendship had endured over all these years.

Richie wasn't about to let the little twit go running around making a mess of things.

"I'm taking you to my house in LA."

"LA? When did you move out there?"

"Never mind, we're going there, pack your stuff."

"What stuff?"

*****

"Hey, Rich, I thought we were going to finish that song we were working on." Jon had walked into the kitchen as Richie was refilling the coffee. "Why are we heading off to LA?"

Richie stopped what he was doing and stared at Jon. "What makes you think we're going to LA?" How did he know? I never said a word to him.

"I thought you told me to pack my stuff." Confusion crept up Jon's face. "Didn't you?" Now Jon was doing the staring. "And why can't I stay here? This is my house, you know." He felt the strange headache beginning to return.

"Jon, I think Dot is right. You must be coming down with something." Richie was starting to feel a bit nauseous himself.

"I feel fine, Rich." Except for that headache I had earlier.

"Jon, I'm just going for a couple of days to tend to some business and see Ava. I should be back by Monday." As long as the history of the world doesn't change.

"But I thought you wanted me to go with you."

"No, where did you get that idea?" Richie knew then that he had to get Jon as far away from Jon as soon as it was possible. Like right now.

"I....I don't know. I guess you're right. As soon as Dot comes back, I'm going back up and get some rest. So, I'll see you back here Monday?"

"Yeah, Monday." Richie hurried off to find Jon.


*****

"Jake, where's Romeo?" Jon was in charge of the two younger ones while Dot was dropping Jesse off at a friend's and taking Steph shopping for some new shoes, though he never understood why she needed new shoes every two months.

"I dunno," Jake shrugged. "Maybe he went up to his room."

Sighing, Jon trudged back upstairs to check on Romeo. He wanted the two boys in one place so that he can keep an eye on them easily. "Romeo! Come on back down here, buddy. Why don't we watch a movie or something?"

*****

Back in his room, Richie was on the phone making reservations for the first flight out to LA.

"May I have the name of the second party, please?" asked the operator.

"Huh? Shit!"

"Excuse me?"

"Uh, sorry. I.....I'll call you back." And with that, he slammed the phone down. "Shit, shit, shit!"

Now what? No way am I driving back to LA from here.

Richie sat on his bed with his head in his hands. He knew that even if he gave them a fake name, they would be asked to show an ID at the check in counter. He was pretty sure that Jon had one on him. Maybe if they were lucky enough, they would get someone who didn't know them. He had no choice. They would just have to chance it.

Seeing that as the only option, he picked up the phone again and dialed.

That was when he noticed that Jon was not in the room.

*****

Wow. Look at all this cool stuff.

Jon was wandering around what seemed to be an office. The rich mahogany of the woods mixed elegantly with the tailored upholstery of the furnishings. Lining the shelves were photos, books and mementos. Jon studied some of the photos closely. Is that Dave and Tico? Where the hell is Alec? And who the hell is this white haired dude in the photos with me .... wait, that's me?!

The desk seemed to be littered with papers and files strewn across it. Several of the folders were marked "Philadelphia Soul" and "Habitat for Humanity". The last one he came across held his interest and he picked it up and opened it. I wonder who this...


"Romeo! Where are you, buddy? Jake, he's not in his room. Come and help me find him."

Uh oh...better get lost. Rich will kill me if he found out that I was roaming around - in my own house - again.

"Romeo! Stop playing! Where are you?"

Putting the folder back where he found it, Jon turned and looked down into a pair of bright blue eyes.


"I'm in here, daddy!"


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a great story!! Hide, Jon, hide!!!! lol! I hope Romeo doesn't blow the cover of the younger Jon! This is getting interesting.

norwichliz said...

Uh oh!!! The worlds are about to collide! Wonder what's going to happen then? Can't wait to see Romeo's reaction to the younger version of his dad....and Jon's to his son!

Love the strange connection between Jon and Jon. Who would you go to for help in a situation like that? I've been trying to figure that out ever since I read the first chapter.

Shelly said...

OMG....Jon may meet Jon!!!

Hide younger one...hide!!!

Kay I loved this chapter...fave line..

Look, we went over this. This is not your house. Not the you you were then. The you you are now, yes, but not you," Richie pointed to Jon. "Understand?"

"No."

LOL!! Great stuff...
Can't wait for more.

Sunstreaked said...

Thank god you're posting pretty quickly cause this is SOOOOO good! Sheesh, freaking amazing to read something both laughing and having your stomach clenched going "oh no, oh no, oh no"! Love this story, just love it.

~~~

Jon was glad that he wouldn't have to go about this by himself. Glad that Richie felt the brotherly love for him and was willing to help. He felt a sense of calm knowing that their friendship had endured over all these years.

Richie wasn't about to let the little twit go running around making a mess of things.

ROFLMAO! Little twit! hahahahah!!