Sunday, September 28, 2008

Chapter 16


Richie glanced up and down the hallway before he stopped and stared at the toddler. "Did I just hear what I thought I heard?"

**You did. Uncle Richie, I can't stay long, it's too tiring. Please, can you find a way to take me to my father?**

"How? Jon--your dad--is not going to just let me take you back to the hotel with me. He'll get suspicious."

**I don't know. But you have to think of something, it's urgent. Please.**

Richie stood there bewildered by what just happened. It was shocking enough when he had first heard Romeo over the phone, but somehow the distance and not seeing the source of the voice, put a cushion of disbelief around the incident. But this was real. Romeo was standing right in front of him pleading him to take him to see Jon.

**Uncle Richie? I can't stay.....I have to go. Please, think of something.**

He looked at the little boy and as he did, he saw something. Something in his eyes. It was a flicker of knowledge that slowly seemed to dim. It didn't completely disappear, but it was not as bright as when Romeo was 'talking' to him.

That was when he made up his mind. No matter how silly he felt or how crazy he thought this was, he would help Romeo. There was no use in rationalizing what was happening. All he needed to know was that it was and somehow Romeo was the key to helping Jon. But helping Jon to do what? Get back to his own time? Or something more compelling? He would never know unless he could get Romeo to wherever he needed to go, and that was to see his 'daddy'.

He picked up the toddler in his arms and headed back out towards the family room. "I'll think of something, little guy. But you need to help me, okay?"

Romeo nodded his understanding.

*****

Jon was watching The Phantom Menace when there was a knock at the door. Opening it, he stepped aside to let the young waitress roll in the cart laden with food. He noticed her trim yet curvaceous figure and something stirred inside him.

"Would you like to me set this up here in the dining area or out on the terrace, sir?"

Her golden brown hair was tied neatly in a low ponytail. When she looked up at him, he noticed her deep blue eyes, much like his own. As she looked at him, her dimpled smile faded and she brought her hands up to her mouth to cover a gasp.

"Oh! You look just like Jon Bon Jovi!"

Even though he knew the reaction she would have, it still flustered Jon and he had to fight to keep his composure and try to remember the line he was supposed to use. But before he could say anything, she spoke up again.

"But of course you couldn't be. You do look just like him when he was younger, though." Her logic suddenly was clouded as she looked at the bill she brought for him to sign. "You're staying here with Richie Sambora?"

Jon spoke for the first time since she came into the room. "Uh, yeah. Well, I'm an actor and I'm thinking of trying out for a part to play Jon when he was younger."

"They're going to make a movie of them?"

Shit! He was painting himself into a corner.

"Uh, no real plans yet. I just heard they might make a documentary or something. When Richie met me, he invited me to tag along for a while to get a feel of how the band works." There. Something plausible.

"Well, if you're serious about getting the part, you might want to think about getting your tattoos done, don't you think?" She walked up to stand in front of him and ran her hands across his shoulders and down the side of his arms. Her hands lingered over the spot where the tattoos would have been. Looking up into his eyes, she whispered, "I think tattoos are so sexy."

"What kinds of tattoos?"

She looked at him in surprise. "Are you kidding me? You want to play Jon Bon Jovi and you don't even know what kind of tattoos he has?"

Jon felt a bit chagrined and made a guess. "Well, I've been thinking about getting a Superman logo for a while. What do you think...er, Kristen," he ventured, reading her name off the tag she wore.

"Yeah, that's a start. Don't forget. You...he...didn't get the steer head one till a couple of years later."

"Steer head?" Jon made a mental note of that.

"Hey, how come you know so much about Bon Jovi? Aren't you a little young?"

"You're never too young to love Bon Jovi," she laughed. "Actually my mother is a big fan. I started looking through all her stuff and just fell in love with young Jon. I always wished I could go back in time so I could meet him. I guess meeting you is the next best thing."

Jon smiled. She was pretty, she was friendly and easy to talk to. He was also feeling lonely and a bit depressed. Richie was not taking this whole thing as seriously as Jon wanted him to. What if he can never go back? What if then, the only companion he would have is Richie?

"What time do you get off work, Kristen?"

"I have to work until two in the morning, but I'm free after that," she smiled up coyly at him.

"Call me when you're done?" he asked, signing the tab.

She winked at him and rolled the empty cart out the door and closed it behind her.

*****

Jon and Richie left the rest of the family midway through the movie and was in the studio going over a few of their new songs.

"What did Romeo want, Rich?"

This was the second time Richie almost dropped the guitar in Jon's studio.

"What do you mean?"

"Stop fucking with me, Sambora. I saw you talking to Romeo in the hallway."

Richie figured this would be as good a time as any so he put the guitar down and faced Jon.

"He was asking me to take him to see 'daddy'. I asked him what he meant, but he just kept asking to see him," he lied.

"What do you think it all means, Rich?" Jon's frustration was returning and could clearly see that there was no end in sight.

Richie sighed, "I don't know, Jon. But why don't you let me take him to the hotel for an overnight stay? Whoever he thinks is there, whatever he thinks is happening might just solve itself if he came with me."

"You're going to take my son?"

"Jon, don't you trust me with your kids?"

"Of course, I do. But this is just bizarre. I mean.....I don't know what I mean, Rich."

"Look, I can't promise that this will solve anything. But if that's what he's asking me to do, then I don't see any harm in letting him spend a night with me. Although, it's entirely up to you."

Jon drank his coffee and mulled over what Richie said for a good ten minutes before he spoke again.

"Fine. I'll go talk to Dot. Why don't you go and help him pack a few things."


Richie climbed up the stairs and knocked softly on Romeo's door. He opened it slowly and walked in to find the toddler packed and ready, sitting on the bed waiting for him.

**Thanks, Uncle Richie. I knew you would come through for me.**



3 comments:

alicefayenjbj said...

okay i waited for this...you have me so hooked. You know yesterday TBS was running Close Encounters and I thougth of your story!

Mind speaking...Love it!

Alice Faye

Kay said...

LOL, Alice! For sure, Jon and Romeo are not E.T.s!

Sunstreaked said...

You weave in so many details into each chapter and that's one of your writing strengths. It always just the BEST when a writer crafts the words well enough for the reader to "see and hear" it as we're reading.

Like that Jon now cares so much about his son that he's willing to try almost anything!