Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chapter 20

"Richie?"

"Huh? Sorry, Dot. I was just thinking about Romeo. He just seemed so excited about going with me, but when we got there, all he wanted to do was eat chocolate cake." Richie wanted to steer the conversation away from the strange happenings of the past week.

"Well, he seems to okay for now. I don't know what's going on in his head, Richie. I guess it's just some childhood thing."

"Yeah," Richie hoped she was right and that things will be back to normal soon. He knew, though, that he, Jon and Romeo were somehow the key to all this and could not just sit back and wait for it to happen.

He also knew that he and Jon would need more time alone with Romeo if they were going to solve this mystery. An idea hit him then.

"Hey, Dot. Maybe Romeo just wants some special time just for him. He can't go out with his friends or anything and he sees Steph and his brothers doing it. If you want, I could take him out with me. You know, just him and his uncle."

"Richie, that's sweet of you to offer but I can't..."

"It's not imposing on me. He's a great kid and we have a lot of fun. Maybe that's what he needs to feel he's special."

"Well..." Dot couldn't deny his reasoning. With the other kids' busy schedules, Romeo was usually brought along 'just for the ride'. She couldn't very well leave him at home unless Grace was there and he was just too young to go over to a friend's by himself. Maybe Richie's idea was not so bad.

Jon's preoccupation with his new project was taking him away from the family's activities more than to her liking. If he would only slow down a bit to give some of his time to their youngest.

"I guess an outing or two wouldn't hurt and maybe even be good for him."

"Of course it will. I'll be in Jersey for a while. Just let me know."

"Thanks. And actually, there is a favor I want ask," Dot said, refilling their cups with fresh coffee. "I have to take Steph to her friend's and Jesse to soccer practice. I was wondering if you could keep an eye on the younger two for a few hours. Grace has the afternoon off."

Richie saw this as an opportunity to 'talk' to Romeo and get more information. "Sure, no problem." Now, if he could only do that without Jake getting suspicious.

*****

"Now, Mr. Bongiovi, I thought rather than give you all the boring technicalities of how nanotechnology works, we could just give you a live demonstration."

Elijah walked over to a stand that held something covered with a white sheet. "It took many years and many failures, not to mention millions of dollars, to perfect this," he tried to gauge Jon's expression at the mention of money. "But I'm happy to announce that we have finally succeeded. This is our prototype, our 'baby' if you will," he continued. And with an overly dramatic flair, he unveiled the contraption. "I give you The Duplicator."

Jon stared at the machine. "It looks like a coffee maker."

"Ah, so it does, Mr. Bongioivi. But let me tell you that it makes more than coffee. Let me demonstrate."

With that, Elijah pushed a few buttons and adjusted several knobs. The machine blinked and whizzed, then something seemed to be forming.

Jon stared. It was coffee. Not just coffee pouring from a spout, but a cup and saucer filled with the aromatic liquid. It had formed right before his eyes out of thin air.

"How did you...?"

"How did we do that? Well, of course I could get a physicist to explain it to you, but in plain simple language, it is the manipulation of molecules." Elijah rounded the table and pulled out a chair across from Jon. "You see, everything in the entire universe is made up of atoms and molecules. Everything. From the things you use daily to the air you breath. There is even the theory that thoughts are made up of the same atoms."

He stood again and walked over to the machine. "What we have managed to accomplish, Mr. Bongiovi, is molecular manufacturing."

"This is not a new concept, mind you. Scientist have been experimenting with the idea for many years, but the time and technology involved was enough to discourage even the most dedicated of them."

"But you have managed to succeed where other have failed?" Jon was beginning to become a little skeptical.

"Well, yes..." Elijah sensed the change in attitude. "Of course, it has its limitations and it will take many, many more years until it's perfected to be of any benefit to mankind," he proceeded cautiously.

"But, please understand, Mr. Bongiovi, that we are dedicated to this project. It is our life's dream. For all of us. I have personally seen the devastation that the drought has brought to the people of Ethiopia, the starving in South America and even right here in the richest country on earth."

"You see, Jon, may I call you that?" When Jon shrugged, he continued, "you see, I was one of them. My family was dirt poor growing up. My father grew up on a farm that lost everything in the Great Depression. Never really recovered. I promised myself that my own children will not suffer the way I did. I worked hard to make sure that they did not want for anything."

Elijah needed to make him understand. "Jon, when I found out about this project, I knew this could be the answer. To be able to produce things that people needed. To be able to produce food for the hungry. This was my way of giving back, of sharing my good fortune."

It had the effect that Elijah was hoping for. It hit close to home. This was Jon's ideal as well; to give back.

"Look, Elijah, I don't mean to be disbelieving. It's just that...well my wife and kids don't..."

"I know, Jon, I do understand. But let me tell you that it does work. Better yet, let our scientists tell you how it works. Bring your family here tomorrow and we will give them all a demonstration."

Jon was surprised at this. "Really? Are you sure?"

"Of course, Jon. This is a huge endeavor. The support of your family behind such a project should be first and foremost. Now, what do you say we continue this talk over some lunch?"

Going back the way they came, Elijah led Jon to the executive dining room As they passed, Jon looked into the room where he had seen Levinshon.

The office was empty.


1 comment:

norwichliz said...

Okaaay.....how about this one....either someone(say Romeo or young Jon)or Romeo's thoughts have been duplicated and sent to present day in order to prevent something serious from happening - like maybe older Jon's death?